Ungrading, a post by Erica Dolson

For the last year, I’ve read about, reflected on, and even tried ungrading practices in some of my classes.

Ungrading removes grades from a course to emphasize learning.  The goals/hopes of this practice are two-fold:

1. That removing the reward of a grade will help students find intrinsic motivation in their coursework.
  2. That removing the pressure of a grade will give students the freedom to take risks and fail.

Instead of grading each assignment, instructors provide feedback and opportunities for revision.  Throughout the semester, students also reflect on their learning and course engagement.  At the end of the semester, the instructor and student meet to discuss the student’s work and decide on a grade that reflects their learning.

I’ve used ungrading in two creative writing courses (a survey course and my creative writing-themed First-Year Seminar).  In many ways, the practice has reinvigorated my teaching, especially when students talk about the freedom they feel as they write.  In other ways, the practice has posed challenges; I sometimes struggle to trust students’ own assessment at their learning and wonder how much I should intervene in the grading process.

The new ungrading module in the Faculty Development Canvas course is designed for anyone interested in trying ungrading or just looking for more information.  The module includes the following sections:

• “How and Why to Ungrade”  — This section provides background and answers questions on ungrading. It also provides some research on traditional grading practices.
  • “Expert Practitioners” — This section links to the websites of Susan Blum and Jesse Stommel. These two teachers and researchers have written about their own experiences with ungrading and provide many resources on the practice.
  • “Reflections on Ungrading” — This section shares articles addressing the benefits and downsides of ungrading practices.
  • “Ungrading in STEM Courses” — While ungrading seems like a more natural fit for creative classes, this section provides information about and first-hand accounts on integrating ungrading practices in the STEM fields.
  • “Book Recommendations” — Ungrading: Why Rating Students Undermines Learning (And What to Do Instead), edited by Susan Blum, was an important resource for me as I began the practice of ungrading.  It includes advice, reflections, and first-hand accounts from teachers in all disciplines.
    This section links to the book and includes a sample chapter.
  • “Resources to Download and Adapt” — In the courses where I practiced ungrading, I used surveys and reflections to check in with my students about their learning and their reactions to ungrading.
    This section includes those resources for you to download and adapt as needed.
  • “Discussion on Ungrading” — Finally, this section includes a discussion board to share your questions, thoughts, and experiences with ungrading.