Day 21 of the Digital Curation of Puffenberger’s Religious Artifacts

Today was dedicated to editing more of the clips of Dr. Long and Dr. Puffenberger. I was able to get 4 more videos done and hopefully I can meet the quota of 12 clips tomorrow. Today we also interviewed Dr. Kenley who talked mostly about our Chinese traditional artifacts including the wooden Confucius, the Baoding Balls, etc. Today Hannah and I made and important discovery that some of the artifacts might be mistakenly labeled. When we handed Dr. Kenley a statue of what we thought was Lao Tzu, Dr. Kenley was almost positive that it wasn’t Lao Tzu. Hannah and I also discovered this with other artifacts such as the Baoding balls being wrongly labeled and most of the “Laughing Buddha” statues being labeled “Hotei”, which is the Japanese name of the deity, even though many of the statues were not from Japan. It was decided that we would unpublish some of the problematic artifacts until we can fix the problems. Tomorrow we will have a conversation on how we should go about the wrongly identified artifacts, interview Dr. Newton and edit more videos.

-Amal Ismail