Graphic Design: A Beautiful Supplement to the English Major

Much like professional writing, graphic design uses creativity to provide a practical and intentional service for others.

According to the Elizabethtown College website, “graphic design is a form of visual communication vital to every industry and institution.” With this in consideration, the college added a graphic design program to its list of minors.

The graphic design minor is a 20 credit program with participating students in majors such as English, communications, art, and computer science. The minor is interdisciplinary, providing courses in subjects like fine arts, communications, and creative writing.

Loving the Interdisciplinary Options

tea spelled in tea leaves

A Graphic Design project in typography

The program includes three mandatory classes including Introduction to Graphic Design, Visual Communications, and Advanced Digital Art. Students can choose two elective courses such as Digital Photography, Typography and Text Design, Word, Web, and Design, and an internship or practicum in the field. Students are assigned projects such as designing book covers, party invitations, magazine layouts, and branding materials like logos and business cards.

The curriculum is dedicated to offering students the opportunity to learn a beneficial practice to supplement their majors. For English majors, a graphic design minor provides a foundation in imagery and design concepts. This blends well with the strong proficiency in writing that the English program establishes.

Preparing Students for Graphic Design Success

Several alumni of the minor have found careers as freelance and in-house graphic designers, and others have pursued graduate degrees in the field. “It’s a [program] that really prepares students,” said Professor Linda Eberly

Senior communications major Jacob Hopkins finished his graphic design minor in the fall semester of 2016. “The graphic design minor has provided me the basic skills I’ve needed to grow and develop as a graphic designer,” Hopkins said. “I’ve gained enough knowledge in the various programs to be able to tackle projects I never thought I could before.”

With almost thirty years of owning her own graphic design business, Professor Linda Eberly began teaching courses in computer art at Elizabethtown College in 2007. Over the past few years, she has rearranged the curriculum of the classes in the program to better fit the needs of her students. After the graphic design minor was set to begin, she added the Typography and Text Design class to further teach the fundamentals necessary to becoming a competent and successful designer.

“I’m really glad we offer the minor because I think it gives students a skill when searching for jobs,” Eberly said. “I’ve had students come back and say, ‘Wow…I’m so glad I was in this curriculum because I’m using what I learned in all of the courses in the graphic design minor for the job that I got.’”

The minor was originally suggested by a professional writing major as an assignment for the Business and Public Relations Writing course. While the proposal was originally intended for a grade, it soon became a real option for every student attending the college.

For further information about the graphic design minor, contact the minor advisor, Dr. Ricci, at riccipi@etown.edu.

Author Bio:

Taylor Miles is a writer, designer, and photographer in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a senior at Elizabethtown College studying English professional writing, graphic design, and communications. Currently, Taylor is the Art director of the Elizabethtown College literary and arts magazine and a teaching assistant for the digital photography course at the college. In her spare time, Taylor enjoys drinking tea, playing the violin, and caring for her rabbit and plants.

Tags: , ,