Vive la France! Junior OT Student Studies in France

By Emma B. Johnson, OTS
emma Johnson standing on rocky cliff overlooking water
Emma Johnson, OTS in France

I have been in Aix-en-Provence, France for about three months now for study abroad. I chose to study abroad in France because I decided around the age of 5 that I was going to go to France one day. So, when I finally had the opportunity in college, I was not going to turn it down. With just over a few weeks left abroad, I can say that while it has been exciting and adventurous, it has not always been easy and wonderful.

Living abroad continues to throw new challenges at me. Between navigating foreign cities, a foreign language, and a new culture, there are times I wished I was back in the United States. A task as simple as going to the store to pick up body wash or to buy groceries suddenly requires a real effort. I have to:
  • know the French vocabulary to identify what I am looking for,
  • know which type of store to go to (there is no Target where you can find anything  your heart desires),
  • understand the French spoken to me when I check out,
  • and figure out the differences in culture –  such as in France they do not bag your items for you and they charge you for plastic bags.

There is so much to consider just to be able to buy basic items.  I had to build up the courage to ask an employee when I cannot find an item because I know I will have to stumble through French and I may not be understood. I find myself having to problem solve just to find one item.

various blocks and rounds of cheesesThe most important lesson living in another country has taught me is to believe in myself and know that I can accomplish more than I give myself credit for. I have no other option than to try, so I just try. The results are not always perfect, but I have been able to buy groceries, ask where an item is, even get a recommendation on a good cheese to buy (it wouldn’t be France without cheese!).

I feel that this experience gives me some insight into the frustrations of having to work to complete an everyday task that seems as though it should come easily.  I hope that as a therapist, I will remember this experience abroad in order to be more understanding about the frustrations a person faces when trying to overcome a challenge, like the challenges I will be helping my future clients overcome. I hope I can also help clients see the abilities they have within themselves that they may not realize they have, until they struggle and succeed.

Associate Professor of Occupational Therapy.