Reflections on Vietnam – Verse Four: Occupational Therapy in Vietnam

multi-colord balls in a ball pit at the Huynh De Nhu Center for the Blind
A ball pit at the Huynh De Nhu Center for the Blind

There are no occupational therapy schools in Vietnam so OT practitioners who are in the country are generally working with non-government organization (NGOs) and non-profit organizations on a short-term basis.

therapy room at an orphanage, showing colorful mats and a suspended swing
The therapy rooms at the Thi Nghe Orphanage

I was asked to provide some training to a group of physical therapists and nursing students who provide services at the Thi Nghe Orphanage in Ho Chi Minh City. This orphanage has about 400 children and adolescents with a wide range of disabilities. The physical therapists also provide services to children who live in the community. Planning for the training was far more stressful than delivering it as I had very little idea of the skill level of the therapists and what information might be most useful to them. Through the use of an interpreter we agreed that feeding was a good fit for them – and for me. We determined I would provide a short description of occupational therapy and then together we would look at three children they had identified with feeding issues. I did my best to prepare for anything, not knowing what we would encounter.

Dr. Ericksen giving a feeding inservice
Practicing Jaw Control at the Feeding inservice

When we arrived at the center, we were warmly greeted and led into a room that was packed with staff and children. After a welcoming ceremony, the children and half of our group left. Nursing students, the physical therapists, and administrators remained and together we worked with three children. Hong, (in-country Brittany’s Hope staff member) and Mai-Lynn (executive director of Brittany’s Hope) translated for us. But not everything was easily translated so we supplemented with visuals, hand gestures, and pantomime. And in the process we frequently laughed. The time flew by. Providing an in-service on feeding to physical therapists in Vietnam had never been on my “bucket” list but it was an incredible experience. I was thankful for the opportunity to share our knowledge in a place where it is needed with people who will use it well. The needs are great in Vietnam, as they are in many places locally and internationally.  As occupational therapists finding a way to meet these needs, even on a very small scale, is a gift we give ourselves.

[Verse 5…to be continued]