Fieldwork Myth #4: I must be available 8 hours/day, every day while I have a student.

clockThe OT educational standards do not require this.  However, your employer may have other rules, policies or expectations about supervising students.  Some third-party payers also have policies about students’ provision of therapy and needing direct supervision for reimbursement of student services.  So, check with your supervisor, administrator or business/billing office to be sure you know what is required for supervising students where you work.

See myth #2 – full-time supervision is not required by the OT education standards.  Does this change your thinking?  Do you still have questions about student supervision?  Feel free to comment or contact me.

My clinical background spans outpatient and inpatient physical rehab, mental health and pediatrics. I practiced for 14 years before making the switch to academic fieldwork coordinator in 2001. I maintain a small private practice, serving children and adults in home and community settings for physical, cognitive, sensory and emotional barriers to participation. I am currently learning about neurofeedback and its role in OT. I am an Etown resident and enjoying small town life!